WASHINGTON – Detergent manufacturers are re-emphasizing the importance of keeping single-unit-dose laundry detergents out of the reach of children in the wake of recent reports about children accidentally ingesting these products.
And coin laundry owners can assist by reminding their patrons about the safe use and storage of these products.
In addition to making educational materials on safe and proper laundry use widely available, the American Cleaning Institute (ACI) says manufacturers are closely examining incident reports and other details associated with reports of accidental ingestions.
"Awareness is the key to prevention of injury when using laundry products," says Ernie Rosenberg, ACI president/CEO. "Consumers should store these products out of reach and out of sight of children."
ACI offers some tips on its website that coin laundry owners should consider printing and posting. And it's always a good idea to have the phone number of the Poison Control Center (800-222-1222) posted in your store should there be an emergency.
To learn more about the proper, safe use of the new single-dose detergents, visit www.cleaninginstitute.org/clean_living/laundry.aspx.